snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "But everyone I know voted for him"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "But everyone I know voted for him"
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a famous quote from 1972 by a surprised Democrat that goes something like, "How could McGovern lose? Everyone I know voted for him."

I have heard this quote repeated a number of times, and it is generally attributed to a "Manhattan socialite" or "a member of Manhattan's literati". The speaker is also generally described as female. Then, today I read a piece in Commentary (http://www.commentary.org/0101/teachout.htm; third paragraph) that attributes it to longtime New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael. But a search on the Web didn't reveal any other references to Kael, or to anyone.

So was this quote ever actually uttered, and if so, was it Kael who said it?

Frank

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anthony
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing the quote in the 1988 Almanac of American Politics discussing one of New York City's Cognressional districts (I believe the old West Side district) with reference to the election of Ronald Reagan.

This quote pops up here in New York every now and then to show how left wing and out of touch the West Side Manhattanites are.

Well, they really are.

------------------
Right Wing Conspirator 34,736,902 (Hey, it's a VAST conspiracy, right?)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theangryQ

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
This quote pops up here in New York every now and then to show how left wing and out of touch the West Side Manhattanites are.

Well, they really are.

Versus Ronald Reagan, who believed that trees caused pollution.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a famous quote from 1972 by a surprised Democrat that goes something like, "How could McGovern lose? Everyone I know voted for him."

I think they've got the context wrong. The point wasn't that Democrats were truly surprised McGovern lost (everybody knew he was going to get creamed); the point was that after Nixon was forced out of office, nobody would admit to having voted for him. Thus the ironic question was how Nixon managed to win if everybody had voted for someone else.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Gato
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Gato   E-mail Don Gato   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
I think they've got the context wrong. The point wasn't that Democrats were truly surprised McGovern lost (everybody knew he was going to get creamed); the point was that after Nixon was forced out of office, nobody would admit to having voted for him. Thus the ironic question was how Nixon managed to win if everybody had voted for someone else.

That's really interesting, because I've NEVER heard the quote repeated in that context. It's always used as Anthony describes it, to poke fun at out-of-touch lefties.

I actually live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and when I went to vote last month, there was a large crowd, and the poll workers were rather disorganized, meaning that I had to wait nearly a half hour before I could get into the booth. As we all stood around, I thought about yelling out, "C'mon, this is the Upper West Side! Just count how many people are in the room, give that many votes to Gore and Hillary, and let us get out of here."

Frank

Posts: 951 | From: The place to be | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theangryQ

quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

- snopes

Sort of like how Creed sold millions of albums, but do you know anyone who actually OWNS one???

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages