snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » The 'Smiling Tigers' of Vietnam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 'Smiling Tigers' of Vietnam
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing some research on my Dad's old unit in Vietnam, D/229th Assault Aviation Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (trying to find the details of the Presidential Unit Citation the battalion was awarded). I happened to find this:
 -

On this website.

quote:
In late 1966 (around September, I believe) I was laagering a few miles South of Pleiku, awaiting a mission, when I decided to act on an idea that I had been mulling over in my mind for some time...and that was, to write a letter to Walt Disney about our unit's call sign, "Smiling Tiger," asking if his artists could please render for us a graphic representation of what a smiling tiger might look like so that we could proudly display his likeness on our gunships. I told Disney
that we had been unsuccessful in trying to draw a picture of a tiger which had both a smile and, at the same time, the desired look of fierce determination befitting the aggressive nature of a "Gunship Company's" mission. In an attempt at humor to hopefully catch their attention, I remember telling Disney that, despite our best efforts, our pitiful tiger renditions served only to make him look like he was constipated.
Anyway, I drew a blue-bordered diamond to frame the desired tiger, with room in the border to portray our weapons, and sent the letter off to Disney, which was acknowledged.
Weeks, and then months went by without any further word, and so I began thinking that Disney must surely have forgotten about us. But then finally (I think it was sometime around Feb of '67), the long-awaited response from Disney
arrived in the form of a package containing our splendid "Smiling Tiger."

The page indicates an Army Times article was published on it...I wonder if anybody has a microfiche archive of it back that far.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Immediately, this popped into my head:

There once was a lady from Niger
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger
They came back from the ride
With the lady inside
And a smile on the face of the tiger

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages