snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Costumed characters share underwear?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Costumed characters share underwear?
Mr. Grinch
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got this off of a link site that I go to. Thought that this seemed a little far fetched, even for Disney. Someone want to set me straight?

If you'd like to check out the site its a few stories down. http://www.davesdaily.com/funnynews/idiotsatwork_02-05.htm

quote:
THAT'S JUST GOOFY!

The management of Walt Disney World, after two months of negotiation, finally relented and no longer makes the costume character actors share their underwear. Before the final settlement the actors were only allowed to wear Disney provided underwear that were laundered and passed out randomly. The actor complained to management that the underwear was often not clean, smelled bad, had stains and "things have been passed around." Actors will now be allowed to have personal underwear, that Disney will issue, and the employees can take home and launder themselves. Of course this won't affect the character of Donald Duck because, as we know, he doesn’t wear any pants.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a news story regarding this a few years back. They wear a special undergarment under the costumes, and apparently they were shared (ick), as some complained of contracting pubic lice from it. Does anyone remember that story?
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall Michael Moore doing a segment about this on his short-lived but excellent TV Nation, probably about ten years ago. I believe it was a "Crackers, the Corporate Crime-Fighting Chicken" segment. The Disney character actor they interviewed did complain about getting a rash "down there" from the costumes, but I don't recall the details. I think I would have remembered if underwear had been shared.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Klubby
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former character, I can say for sure that no "underwear" was ever shared. We were required to wear Disney-issued gym shorts and t-shirts overtop our OWN underwear. We were also given the option of receiving 6 sets per day. I was able to change my shirt each time, which was nice. The costume, however, was only washed once per day... but not shared with another prior to washing.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't this:

quote:

Of course this won't affect the character of Donald Duck because, as we know, he doesn’t wear any pants.

a dead giveaway that it is a joke.

ETA: After looking at the site I guess that line may have been an editorial add on by the person who posted the item on the site.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
valandearl19
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valandearl19   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't Some Characters Get Crabs

--------------------
Oh No! My Brains-Hans Moleman

Posts: 184 | From: Springfield VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by valandearl19:
Didn't Some Characters Get Crabs

This from the random movie/book title generator. [Razz]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages