snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Disney Archive » Weight limit for the rides?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight limit for the rides?
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone please tell me where I can find out what, if any, the weight limit is for Disney rides? I've tried searching disney.com but all I get are irrelevant links to buy Disney merchandise.
Thank you

Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
World, Land, Euro?

[ETA, not sure if you're looking for upper weight limits, but, if so, this site has some seemingly throgough information, but caveat emptor.]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, that was pretty ignorant of me. I was talking about Disney World.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Cat-and-dragon link I posted above has some pretty good info, like I said. You kind of have to dig for it, as they have information on what seems to be every theme park in North America all on one page.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
The Cat-and-dragon link I posted above has some pretty good info, like I said. You kind of have to dig for it, as they have information on what seems to be every theme park in North America all on one page.

Thanks for that link. It says a 410 pound person had no problem so I should be fine. I'm nowhere near 400 pounds. I just have one more question, it says a women's size 28-30 would be able to fit in the rides. Do you know how that translates to men's sizes?
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rides at Disneyworld don't have weight limits but depend on if you can fit into the seat and fasten the restraints properly.

My son works on a very popular ride at Universal Studios Orlando and it has no weight limits. How could they enforce that as they don't have scales to weigh each person?

One person weighing 400 lbs. but has a smaller girth may be able to ride easily. As long as the restraint fits, they can ride. Someone else with a wide girth and weighs 200 lbs. may not be able to ride. The saftey restraint has to fasten to a certain mark on the restraint. His ride has an orange line that the restraint must be able to fasten to. If the restraint can't be pulled down to that mark, the person can't ride. Many of the rides at Universal have a seat with restraints in front of the ride that a person can try out.

Rides that don't have seat restraints also have no weight limits but only require that you be able to sit in the seat properly. For specific questions on Disneyworld/Disneyland, you can post on this board: http://www.disboards.com A lot of cast members from WDW also post there. The people who post questions about weight restrictions usually refer to themselves as "Pooh sized" there.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:

Thanks for that link. It says a 410 pound person had no problem so I should be fine. I'm nowhere near 400 pounds. I just have one more question, it says a women's size 28-30 would be able to fit in the rides. Do you know how that translates to men's sizes?
That is a great question, and I have no idea. A woman's size 28 is for a woman with measurements of hips: 56-58", waist: 46-48", and bust: 54-56". None of those really translates into men's sizes easily, because, for instance, a man's waist measurement is not taken in the same way a woman's is.

But that is, anyway, a rough guide. That site also mentioned that some rides (such as StarTours) has seat belt extenders available in case the standard ones don't work.

--------------------

meanjelly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meanjelly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to Disney Land weighing 270 and I am 5'9. I had a killer time and rode every ride. It is amzing the foresight they had in making the ride so big. Take Dumbo for instince. It is a kiddie ride and me and my son was able to fit in it at the same it.

I think I read something there that Disney hate other amusment parks because adults could not play so he sought to build his park for everyone.

--------------------
Education... has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
G. M. Trevelyan (1876 - 1962), English Social History (1942)

Posts: 1443 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, try www.allearsnet.com - she has a section IIRC on riding rides if you are on the plus size.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ASquared
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ASquared   E-mail 2ASquared   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not sure about weight limit, but there is a size limit. When I was at a local amusement park recently this summer, there was a ride that strapped you to a tower and shot you up in the air and then brought oyu back down. Anyway, one man was so large, the straps would fit around his body. He tried for a few minutes and then just gave up and left. Pretty embarassing, I felt bad for him. So yeah, I guess there is a size limit to an extent, but I'm not too sure about wieght.
Posts: 51 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NovaSS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On some rides there is not an idividual weight restriction but there are total car weight restrictions. I had a friend that worked space mountain. When the car was boarded it was automatically weighed.If the car was over weight it went down the track but was divirted to a side tract were it was unloaded and the passengers were "rearange" to board different cars.
Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlinkyBinky
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alton Towers, a very popular theme park in England has restrictions on some rides based on chest size. The limit is either 50 or 52 inches.

Details here

A stone is 14 pounds, so by their claculations anyone 252 pounds or over may have problems

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NovaSS:
On some rides there is not an idividual weight restriction but there are total car weight restrictions. I had a friend that worked space mountain. When the car was boarded it was automatically weighed.If the car was over weight it went down the track but was divirted to a side tract were it was unloaded and the passengers were "rearange" to board different cars.

Yeah, I spent a couple of years working on Space Mountain when I was a young lad. Each vehicle was weighed not only to make sure that it wasn't too heavy (max 5200 pounds, I believe it was), but also to make sure that the weight differential between the vehicle and the previously dispatched vehicle wasn't too great.

Since so many vehicles (12) were being run on the track, the dispatch interval had to be extremely low (20.2 seconds) to ensure that the station (which had only 6 spots for vehicles to park) did not back up and therefore break down the ride. However, when sending rockets so close to each other, a weight differential (or "Delta") of over...jeez...I think it was 500 pounds...would require that the "heavier" rocket be sent 5 seconds late in order to ensure that with its additional momentum it did not encroach on the lighter rocket in front of it and break down the attraction. And, as mentioned, if it was over 5200 pounds, it was too heavy altogether and the rocket had to be pulled off the track so that the people could be off-loaded and seated on two different vehicles.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure you have to follow ride safety regulations in which most rides require that they place the shoulder restraint guide arm over you. If it doesn't go over you, you shouldn't really ride it. For natural rides that have the straight bar going in front of you, that's probably not going to be a problem.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages