snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Horrors Archive » Ted's caving page.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ted's caving page.
DJ5CR3W
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a search for this, and found only one topic on this, but didn't show anything about the update.

Basically this site, Click Here is about an adventure/discovery of a cave. A guy and his friend find this cave, and start hammering away at this spot trying to get deeper into the cave. It goes on about how they are hearing these noises and about them having nightmares and all other types of weird things happen to them. Anyways, on the website it says the page has not been updated since 5/19/01

When I did a google search it came up with this website, Click here Its the same as the other websites front page, but it says updated 5/22/2004 By Jan.
There are just 2 more extra pages than the original one with messages that are supposedly from his sister. For those of you who dont want to click through the whole website to get to the last two pages, Click here and here

What do you people think of this? Hoax or not? As much as I want to beleive there is a real cave with haunted things. It just seems unreal. I wish someone would get to the bottem of this story.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's meant as a hoax, more of a creative writing exercise. Rather Lovecraftian.

The 404 error on the last page is a big clue.

ETA: Look at the site name, too...

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this cave anywhere near Barton Woods?

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Why did the Wizard cross the road?

The story is originally by a very cool short story writer named Thomas Lera. Unfortunately, the only internet copy of it known to me (an old PDF file) is now gone, and I never had the chance to read it. I'm told it was formatted differently in the story itself, and someone happened to like it and did a rough copy of it online, and made it fit the fact that it was on a website.

The entire thing is a hoax, and I think it's made for people to understand that. It's just a great story. The last two pages obviously weren't even written by the same author (and not Ted's sister, either)...they were probably just written by a Ted the Caver fan, such as myself. [Smile]

I like Thomas Lera's other stories a great deal, and if anyone possibly has the original Ted the Caver story, or Lera's contact info, I would be very grateful! [Big Grin]

Blue "thread hijacker" Wizard

mizake the mizan

It seems to be still available (in PDF form) here
Methos Divino
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methos Divino   Author's Homepage   E-mail Methos Divino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a really long thread about this page once before? I could have sworn I'd seen a thread like this months ago.

OT: BTW, anyone know whatever happened with the March 8th or March 13th website from a while back???

--------------------
"But, what does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything, that's the beauty of it."

Posts: 70 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BAGOCK(bud)gyrl

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
cave-a-chow

WOW, my first a chow! [Big Grin]

Why did the Wizard cross the road?

Oh. My. Gosh. Mizake, you are the mizan! I know, bad joke. [fish]

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I've googled my butt off...I guess it's a skill I need to work on. [Big Grin] I know a lot of people think the caver story is stupid, which it is sort of, as most horror stories are. But considering the amount of really bad ones out there, it does pretty well. [Big Grin]

Thanks again, I appreciate your finding this for me!

DJ5CR3W

Funny how someone would go through all that trouble adding on to a cave story and waste time taking pictures of a fake event.

I do think that the story is great though, and the pdf story covers the rest of the events which is great.(nothing worse than being cut off from a good story.)

After reading it, I think it would make a great movie if done by the right directors.

oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 102 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Methos Divino:

OT: BTW, anyone know whatever happened with the March 8th or March 13th website from a while back???

march 8, 2003

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kelliehyphen
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelliehyphen   E-mail kelliehyphen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm finding it hard to concentrate - I keep thinking a scary face is going to pop up and scream or something. [lol] Snopes still hasn't desensitized me to that.
Posts: 527 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't that march8 thing turn out to be some fuzzy picture on a mountain top that the website author thought was a spaceship? I don't remember the picture that well. It was very unimpressive though.
Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, I'm sure it must be real. Poor old Ted and B trapped in some cave with a horrible monster. They're going to dig themselves out and then look at their web page to see if they have any messages.

Don't think that a sister who was truely worried about her brother wouldn't post notes to her brother so that a bunch of morbid people can hear how concerned she is and think that her brother probably got sealed up in the cave? If she were to post, I'd expect it would be "has anyone seen Ted". Rather than "check out the crap Ted's got himself into".

Beach...I'm sure he'll call...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy waffles, Batman.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages