snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Urban Legends Archive » Blood for Odin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood for Odin?
die_kluge
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 402 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw some references to this recently, and noticed there was no mention of it on Snopes.

Has all the trappings of an urban legend:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=122741

http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Urban_legend

One version of the story:
A friend of a friend (of a friend - DCK) lives in NYC and participates in the SCA [Society for Creative Anachronism]. He's stereotypical Viking, 6'7" tall, LONG blonde hair, about 350 - 400 lbs of solid muscle, and looks every bit of it.

Well, he was going to a meet in full getup with long cloak and battle axe and sitting on the subway... hunched over leaning on the axe with the cloak pulled over it so he wouldn't scare anybody.

Lo and behold some little punk comes up... MAYBE 5'2", 120 lbs soaking wet, and brandishes a knife saying "GIMME YOUR MONEY!"
Naturally the guy sits there... somewhat befuddled at the balls of this punk. "GIMME YOUR *bleepin* MONEY OR ELSE!" and the guy stands up... and up... and UP. Raising the battle axe over hishead, screaming at the top of his lungs "BLOOD FOR ODIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

At this point, the fellow passengers learn the true sound of terror. Not a scream, no curses, just a simple little "urk" as the guy leaves a wet spot as he's bolting for anywhere but here.

A couple weeks later our friend is at a club in the men's room, doing what all guys do when they've had a bit of ale, and looks over and at the next stall is that SAME PUNK! Up for a bit of a laugh, the guy leans over, and quietly whispers in the dude's ear "Blood for Odin".

The cops catch up with him a couple blocks away... screaming bloody murder, running like the hounds of hell are after him, with his pants around his ankles.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who knows if it's true? It's funny though.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the followup in the restroom is a new addition from the version I first heard.

::sigh:: Whatever happened to do the days when they would just sing the spam song? That's your modern vikings, I guess. No sense of history.

--------------------
"Beer assuages grief. No one tells you that." ~Arrow-Tech IV

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crud. I can't find it now, but I remember reading on one of the discussions about something similar happening to a Snopester. Several people living in one building, most or all of them members of the SCA. When someone broke into the building, said occupants ran screaming towards the intruder waving swords, axes, and other pointy bits. Much confusion occurred, and a wonderful time was had by all, excepting the would-be burglar. I just wish I could find the original posting.
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a long thread at the Rialto (the venerable SCA message board) called Mythbustin in the SCA. It starts here [url= http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.org.sca/browse_thread/thread/4278040a72f33698?tvc=2&q=%22blood+for+odin%22]here.[/url]

There are number of references to "blood of odin" in SCA Urban Legends discussion going back to 1991. None of them quite match the OP and in various telling mix in with other SCA legends. If 14 year and a bunch of SCA folks couldn't pinpoint the origin I doubt we'll do it here.

What I want to know is the origin of the one about the female fighter at a hotel pool who was told "Honey, you don't have to take that." The bruised lady replies "I had to, it was good."

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slainey:
There's a long thread at the Rialto (the venerable SCA message board) called Mythbustin in the SCA. It starts here [url= http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.org.sca/browse_thread/thread/4278040a72f33698?tvc=2&q=%22blood+for+odin%22]here.[/url]

There are number of references to "blood of odin" in SCA Urban Legends discussion going back to 1991. None of them quite match the OP and in various telling mix in with other SCA legends. If 14 year and a bunch of SCA folks couldn't pinpoint the origin I doubt we'll do it here.

What I want to know is the origin of the one about the female fighter at a hotel pool who was told "Honey, you don't have to take that." The bruised lady replies "I had to, it was good."

It reminds me of a scene in GI Jane, not long after she and a sergeant have a knock-down drag out fight; as she is tending her cuts and bruises in a public restroom, another woman whispers to her, "It's none of my business, but you should leave him".

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bela Lugosi's Dead
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mt cat's name is Odin...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerald
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald   E-mail Gerald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello from France! Apparently, this thing with mediaeval weapons is a great classic in European live roleplaying. I've read several of them on a forum full of roleplayers:

"I was waiting for my girlfriend in front of a high school, dressed in gothic as usual, when some brats got out of the school and began to make fun of me. So I just opened the boot of my car and got out the japanese saber that was in it..."

"I was coming back from a live roleplaying session, a guy asked me for a cigarette, I said I didn't have any, he began to get excited, then I produced my sword..."

"Some friends of me were coming back from a live roleplaying weekend when a car bumped into theirs. The guys in the other car were beginning to yell, when one of my friends got his mediaeval axe and delivered a blow into their hood..."

But I've never read the "a couple weeks later... the same punk" version!

There is also a less light story, about a suicidal guy who assaulted the cops with his mediaeval sword and was shot.

Posts: 14 | From: France | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winged Monkey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winged Monkey         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did have a friend in highschool who was carrying home a large spikey metal art project that looked somewhat like a rusted piece of medieval weaponry and used it to chase off a few neighborhood toughs (also highschoolers) who were hassling a couple of his female friends at a bus stop. He didn't have to say much - just heft the "art object" and tell the guys to go away. That was long ago though.

-Winged Monkey

Posts: 536 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages