snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Business Archive » SHAMPOO contains fetus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SHAMPOO contains fetus?
krash
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some one recently told me that hospitals sell a babies fetus to companies that make shampoo. Just wondered if there is any truth to this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hat on smiley is shampoo suds.

I am Googling this currently. Give me a few minutes.

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I found this article on my first try:
Apparently, these folks think so.

I'm still working, give me some time.

Edited to say: That's all I could find on Google. It was on an anti-abortion site, and they're not really known for their level-headedness. I swear I read something about this on snopes. Little help, anyone?

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tiggeress

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know as both a nurse and a cosmetologist, they do not sell fetus to
anyone. They do sell placenta to companies. Look in cosmetics, hand and body
lotion, and some shampoos, and conditioners. In most states you can not sell fetuses.

Tiggeress

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Bonnie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You got to hand it to Ann. She debunked the "secret ingredient in beauty products" rumor back in 1985.

quote:
No! Beauty aids do not contain aborted fetuses

Ann Landers
The Chicago Sun-Times
Features; Pg. 28
15 July 1985

DEAR ANN LANDERS: A woman wrote and asked if collagen, a substance used in some beauty products, was made from aborted babies. The writer claimed she had heard the story from an evangelist, a beauty consultant and her neighbor who works in a hospital. She said it broke her heart to think that little ears, hands and feet of murdered babies were being ground into powder and added to beauty products to help women look more youthful.

You, Ann Landers, insisted there was no truth to the story, that the collagen used in cosmetics is hydrolyzed animal protein from leftovers in the slaughterhouses.

I have just read an article by Olga Fairfax, Ph. D., of Wheaton, Md., director of Methodists United for Life. It is called, "101 Uses for a Dead (or Alive) Baby." She said collagen in beauty products came from aborted babies and that fetuses were also used in experiments. [...]

I also read an article in the Liguorian by the Rev. James J. Higgins. He repeated many statements made by Olga Fairfax and added, "Some abortionists simply put the remains of unborn human beings in the alley for trash pickup. The more fastidious ones use compactors. The plastic bags are thrown on top of the bin, at the mercy of dogs and rats."

Father Higgins repeated the Fairfax story about living babies being dropped into meat grinders and he attributed that statement to the New England Journal of Medicine.

How can you, Ann Landers, say this information is not true in the face of the evidence I have presented? Your readers deserve to know the facts.

J.M. IN BETHESDA, MD.

DEAR J.M.: I have seen Olga Fairfax's article, also Father Higgins's piece in the Liguorian. Never in my 30 years of writing this column have I run into such half-baked distortions, complete lies and twisted facts contrived to make a story sound believable. [...]

Many of Fairfax's statements were startling, but my favorite was this: "A study was done on the severed heads of 12 babies delivered by C-section who were kept alive for months." Yes, folks, you read right: "severed heads of 12 babies . . . kept alive for months."

When the label on a facial creme or shampoo says, "This product contains collagen," it usually means collagen from slaughterhouse leftovers. When the label says, "This product contains human placenta," it means they have used the afterbirth. The placenta is attached to the umbilical cord and also to the uterine wall. It is through the umbilical cord that the infant receives nourishment and disposes of waste matter while in the womb. When the child is delivered, the umbilical cord is cut and discarded along with the placenta. The placenta is NOT a fetus and herein lies the gross misrepresentation.

[...]

quote:
Let's put to rest ugly rumor on aborted fetuses

Ann Landers
The Chicago Sun-Times
Section 2; Features; Pg. 32
16 July 1985

DEAR READERS: I devoted the entire column yesterday to respond to the charges made by Olga Fairfax, Ph.D., of Wheaton, Md., director of Methodists United for Life, that aborted babies are sold to cosmetics companies as a source of collagen, an ingredient that, it is claimed, helps keep women looking younger.

[...]

The allegation that aborted babies are sold to cosmetics companies as a source of collagen is false.

When a label on a facial creme or shampoo says, "This product contains collagen," it almost always means the collagen comes from slaughterhouse wastes. When the label says, "This product contains human placenta," it means it contains tissue known as the afterbirth. Most placentas used in cosmetics come from live births, not abortions.

After reading so many articles describing how aborted babies were sold to cosmetics companies, we decided to find out exactly what is done with aborted fetuses. (Bear in mind, many fetuses abort spontaneously. This is nature's way of eliminating defective children.)

We checked with Dr. Kenneth J. Ryan, chief of obstetrics and gynecology at Brigham Hospital (the Harvard Medical School); Dr. William J. Ledger, chairman of obstetrics and gynecology, New York Hospital/Cornell Medical Center; Dr. Maurice Clifford, president of the Medical College of Pennsylvania, and Dr. George M. Ryan Jr. of Memphis, past president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. We also checked with a number of other spokespersons from the most respected hospitals in the country. The question: Exactly what does your hospital do with fetuses?

Everyone with whom we spoke gave virtually the same answer. Procedures vary according to state. But in nearly all states the fetuses are sent to the pathology department for examination. If the pregnancy was beyond 24 weeks, a death certificate must be filed. The mother is then consulted regarding her wishes. Most fetuses at all stages are cremated, but when the mother requests burial, her wishes are granted.

And Brunvand devotes five pages to this (false) rumor in The Mexican Pet (pp. 93-98).

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Smiley is me with the light bulb going on above my head.

I knew I read it in something about Urban Legends that shampoo=fetuses was a load of crap. I just couldn't remember where. And I knew that that anti-abortion thing was a load of crap as well, I just couldn't find anything against it.

Thanks, Bonnie!

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages