snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Medical Archive » Keeping a severed head alive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keeping a severed head alive?
black roses
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading the News of the World’s Sunday supplement today, I came across this gem:

quote:
Can you keep a severed head alive?
Yes! In 1998, the US government granted a patent for a device that could keep a severed head alive after it was surgically removed from the body. According to the patent holder, a severed human head could be kept alive indefinitely, with the device and drugs. It must be severed from the body at the top of the neck, mounted upright, and attached to a mass of plastic tubes.

I think the key phrase here is “according to the patent holder”.

What exactly counts as ‘alive’ anyway? If blood, nutrients, oxygen etc are pumped through a severed head can it be said to be technically alive, or does there have to be brain function?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the only things stopping heads from being kept alive is the central nervous system (which could theoretically be simulated) and the fact you'd have about 20 seconds to connect each vein and artery to a machine that feeds the blood with nutrients and oxygen otherwise the brain would run out of 02 and die.

We're quite a bit off of being able to do this at the moment.

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't you do it little by litte, switching blood vessels from the body to a machine one by one?

Honestly, I'm surprised how little research has been done into things like this, since I think there are many people out there who would pay any price to prolong their lives.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
they do it in Futurama.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How did they test this? Did they get a living volunteer?

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a post that had links to some videos that showed a couple of scientists doing experiments on a dog. They managed to keep his head alive, in the sense that the dog would salivate when they brought some food. Does anyone remember that video? I don't know whether this patent is along those lines or not

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ebony Silence
Santa Claus Is Coming to Frown

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Silence   E-mail Ebony Silence   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
I remember a post that had links to some videos that showed a couple of scientists doing experiments on a dog. They managed to keep his head alive, in the sense that the dog would salivate when they brought some food. Does anyone remember that video? I don't know whether this patent is along those lines or not

How did they get ethical approval for that? Talk about cruelty to animals.

I would not want to go through this myself. Think of the pain you would be in. Just let me die instead.

--------------------
Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Posts: 76 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 86 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard about that 1998 patent. Did the article give the patent number. There was a patent issued in 1987, patent number 4,666,425, titled "Device For Perfusing An Animal Head" which issued to Chet Fleming. The assignee is The Dis Corporation. At the time the patent issued, it was generally accepted among the examiners at the Patent Office that it was done as a prank.

Ken

Posts: 140 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I remember a post that had links to some videos that showed a couple of scientists doing experiments on a dog.
Severed-dog-head-a-chow.

Bonnie "bow ow" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KennRice, the quote in the OP is all the info that was given. The News of the World isn't exactly renowned for it's fact-checking, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1998 patent didn't exist.
DeathLord
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeathLord   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
I remember a post that had links to some videos that showed a couple of scientists doing experiments on a dog.
Severed-dog-head-a-chow.

Bonnie "bow ow" Taylor

I've read that's was just a propaganda video. Nothing real, as you can see looking how the severed dog head moves in the bowl.
But it's true that a russian surgeon attached a dog head (well, upper torso) on another bigger dog , and they survive for a couple of weeks. (I have a photo of this lesser Cerbero somewhere in my hard disk.)

quote:
Bonnie, can you explain the source of this tagline to me? I'm italian and sound quite meaningless...

--------------------
__
/he DeathLord
My Blog (Italian)
Tecnica Arcana: my Tech Podcast (Italian)

Posts: 23 | From: Italy | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
English translation: Even if it's not true, it makes a good story.

Source: about.com

Apologies to Bonnie for answering for her.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DeathLord
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeathLord   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
English translation: Even if it's not true, it makes a good story.

Source: about.com

Apologies to Bonnie for answering for her.

Well... It look likes a quote from Giordano Bruno. But it's the first time I ear this. Literal translation is "If it's not true, it's well found" so there must be some kind of story behind. I will investigate! [Smile]
Sorry for the OT. Thanks Elwood!

--------------------
__
/he DeathLord
My Blog (Italian)
Tecnica Arcana: my Tech Podcast (Italian)

Posts: 23 | From: Italy | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice

Icon 201 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by black roses:
KennRice, the quote in the OP is all the info that was given. The News of the World isn't exactly renowned for it's fact-checking, I wouldn't be surprised if the 1998 patent didn't exist.

It might be they saw the 1987 patent and reported the wrong date. Or decided a more recent date made better "news."

Ken

Posts: 140 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
poutyangel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poutyangel   E-mail poutyangel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i think someones seen reanimator one too many times.

--------------------
I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and i'm fresh outta bubble gum! "Roddy Piper"

Posts: 30 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK. let's put it this way: Serge Bryukhonenko really existed. He actually constructed the first "artificial heart", at least AFAIK, in 1928 (picture here: http://www.bakulev.ru/structure/history/img/mus02.jpg), and was working closely on reanimation. Actually, the experiment has probably been made as a part of Bryuknonenko's research on reanimation, which was pretty successful (his technique was used from late 40es to mid50es at least in USSR). His research also made first heart transplants possible.

There exists footage (I've seen it on the TV, no record, sorry) that actually shows two-headed dog with one head reattached. This research is closely tied to Bryukhonenko, but made by his collegue, Demekhov. As the lab report claims, the reattached head retained the character of the dog, although it was unclear how much damage the brain sustained in process.

Although I've never seen this particular movie before, there is nothing in its footage that would be out-of-date to my eye as far as Russian part goes. I believe animal cruelty laws were not an issue in USSR in mid-40es; in fact, I don't remember hearing anything about animal cruelty laws in late 80es, although I might have been too young.

A well-known Russian science fiction novel, "Head of professor Dowel" (mid-1930es) by Alexander Belyaev, shares the same plot of keeping the head alive for some time after the death of a person, reattached to artificial air flow and circulation. The novel has been set in USA. It has been made into movies at least twice. I believe this might have started a rumor of "fake propaganda film". It is alleged that the novel is based on actual demonstration of Bryukhonenko's artificial heart on dog's head in 1925.

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honestly, I'm surprised how little research has been done into things like this, since I think there are many people out there who would pay any price to prolong their lives.
Actually, U.S. neurosurgeon Robert White did a lot of research into (non-human) head transplantation (or, as he might prefer to call it, "body transplantation") and conducted experiments involving the placement of the body of one monkey onto the head of another.

I suspect that current stringent federal and institutional oversight into the humane use of animals in research and bioethical concerns about the implications of this research as it pertains to future use in humans are huge obstacles to continuing this line of research, at least in the United States.

quote:
OK. let's put it this way: Serge Bryukhonenko really existed.
Along that line, then, you might be interested in a previous thread on Brukhonenko’s and coworkers’ research into the reanimation of bodiless dogs.

Bonnie "the ones without the waggly tails" Taylor

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There exists footage (I've seen it on the TV, no record, sorry) that actually shows two-headed dog with one head reattached. This research is closely tied to Bryukhonenko, but made by his collegue, Demekhov.
Those of somewhat delicate sensibilities, particularly when it comes to research involving animals, are forewarned . . .

http://www.tvdata.ru/catalog.php?dir=11&did=365&lang=eng

-- Bonnie

--------------------

Hooverville

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HP Lovecraft wrote some good stories about this stuff, in particular the Herbert West series.

Who would have thought that anything that man wrote down would come true. I hope you've all paid your dues to Cthulhu.

Cuervorose
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cuervorose   E-mail Cuervorose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Saul also wrote a book along these lines..."Shadows"....but they didn't keep the whole head, just the brain in a virtual reality type situation....

--------------------
You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I'll miss you.

Posts: 54 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a rather sobering story on decapitated heads at Straight Dope.

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil Ducky08
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil Ducky08     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother told me about dogs that are having their blood being replaced by antifreeze, being frozen, having their blood being put back in, and then being shocked back into life. i dont know where he heard this, but i know that this is highly unlikely, due to animal right's laws. plus, how in the world would you be able to replace all of someone's blood like that?

--------------------
People say that Senator Edwards got picked for his good looks, his sex appeal, and his great hair. I say to them, 'How do you think I got the job?'-Dick Cheney

Posts: 15 | From: Grand Forks, North Dakota | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bingo. You don't have to prove effectivness to be awarded a patent. They are still patents on the books for perpetual motion machines.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hellboy fans will recall Herman Von Klempt, mad Nazi scientist who kept his head and consciousnes alive by sustaining himself in a jar (complete with sundry wires and apparatus).

When confronted with aforementioned 'jarred' evil-doer, Hellboy asks in disgust:

"How often do you change the water in that thing?"

[lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Liza
What's My Lime?

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Liza         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil Ducky08:
My brother told me about dogs that are having their blood being replaced by antifreeze, being frozen, having their blood being put back in, and then being shocked back into life. i dont know where he heard this, but i know that this is highly unlikely, due to animal right's laws. plus, how in the world would you be able to replace all of someone's blood like that?

Place that does it.

There's a news article and a link to a tv news story about three links down from the top.

They anesthitize the animal first. Then they flush out all of it's blood. They pump cold saline into the animal's veins, which lowers the core temperature to around 50 degrees. Up to three hours later, they drain the saline and replace the blood, while gradually warming the animal. They gently shock the heart, which restarts it. Then they wake it up.

All of this is done following strict animal vivisection and research laws. If you look that up, you'll find that the researchers are required to treat animals better than anyone else, including pet owners.

Liza

--------------------
You come into this world screaming, naked, and covered with blood. With any luck, things get better.

Posts: 122 | From: BFE, Florida | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KennRice

Icon 303 posted      Profile for KennRice   Author's Homepage   E-mail KennRice   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Bentley:
quote:

Bingo. You don't have to prove effectivness to be awarded a patent. They are still patents on the books for perpetual motion machines.
In the US Patent Office, the policy on patent applications for perpetual motion devices is that an operating model is to be required by the patent examiner. The failure to submit a working model when so requested results in the application becoming abandoned. This policy has been in place for around 100 years. Unfortunately, a few applicants for these have been tenacious and received their patents as a result of court decisions which reversed the positions of the patent examiner and the Patent Office.

In general, if the examiner has any doubt as to whether the invention will work, in any subject area, they are to resolve that matter before passing the application to issue.

Ken

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages