snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Why haven't you registered at the new ULMB yet? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why haven't you registered at the new ULMB yet?
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
By the way, the "New Topics" panel is gone from the left-hand side of the URLP.

I'm not usually one to point out a typo, but that one rather 'sounded' like a belch. [lol]

(a very lady-like belch, of course [Wink] )

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GenYus, Could you let us know if you are serious about leaving the ULMB? There is quite a bit of concern over on the new board that you won't be joining us.

(From the new board)
quote:
Spam & Cookies-mmm
I posted a poll on the old board asking "why haven't you registered yet". So far, four people have responded that they didn't realize they would have to go through the registration process again, and one answered that this was the first they'd heard of it.

GenYus isn't coming, I'm afraid. [Frown]

quote:
rangerdog
Why not? I don't remember him having any problems.

quote:
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Here's the poll & responses.

quote:
Mad Jay
Ouch!!! GenYus will be missed

quote:
Spam & Cookies-mmm
There's always peer pressure, Mad Jay.

quote:
Signora Del Drago
I thought maybe he was kidding. Hope so, anyway. [Frown]

ETF quotes, and to add - Not that we want to force you to do something you're not wanting to, but we might, anyway...

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[fish] I meant ULRP, of course! I'd be a tad embarrassed if that weren't so darned funny! [Razz]

Come to think of it, ULRP sounds like a belch, too. Gadzooks! [lol] [lol] [lol] (It is ULRP, isn't it?)

ETA: We were posting at the same time. I sent GenYus a PM here. Hope he sees it. Or your post. Or something.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
GenYus, Could you let us know if you are serious about leaving the ULMB? There is quite a bit of concern over on the new board that you won't be joining us.

Sorry to say, but I am not kidding. I have been spending way too much time reading and posting here when I am at work. Luckily my employer does not monitor internet usage or I surely would have faced action by now. Besides that, I have been stealing time from my employer. This is the chance for me to stop that as I have not the will power to do so as long as the board is available and I can post.

I will miss you all terribly, but I must do this. I have trouble facing myself on those days when I have spent so much time here.

I cannot tell you how much it means that I am so well thought of and how you are all so concerned that I will not be migrating with you.

I may register later, when I can trust myself to do so on my own time and not time I owe to my job. But for now, it is up to other snopesters to forge new ground.

I did not say anything about not going over as I didn't want to be a DM/LAM poster. But I guess you all deserve to know.

Goodbye to all my dear, dear friends.

Gen "When you think of me, and you will... be kind" Yus

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're a good man, GenYus. And you will be missed.

Come see us sometime.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugs and best wishes, GenYus. We'll miss you. [Frown] Good for you for making a difficult decision.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lurk a lot more than I post, so I will miss the easy lurking provided by the "New Topics" panel on the left-hand side of the ULRP. OTOH, I read more threads now that I'm forced to look for interesting tidbits on the message board itself. I do like the new board. It is very shiny and new.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't register, the visual verification code required on the form is inaccessable by screen reading software and if I can't read the code, I can't enter it into the edit box, and if I can't do that, I can't register. I'd like to thank Snopes for the user-friendly accessibility of the present board, and could the managers of the new board please get rid of the code or install an audio code generator such as the ones on livejournal or paypal?
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Capri, you might send an e-mail to snopes. Surely there's some way to get around your problem. He might be able to register you, himself, and send you a password so that you can update your profile info. Don't know for sure, that's just a guess. Or send a PM to Jenn. I bet she'll keep checking in here until the board closes. Good luck.

--------------------

Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capri:
I can't register, the visual verification code required on the form is inaccessable by screen reading software and if I can't read the code, I can't enter it into the edit box, and if I can't do that, I can't register. I'd like to thank Snopes for the user-friendly accessibility of the present board, and could the managers of the new board please get rid of the code or install an audio code generator such as the ones on livejournal or paypal?

Hmm, I thought it had a link nearby to click if you couldn't read the code, which I assumed would then suggest an alternative...

There is the same management for both boards by the way, but I think they are only just getting used to the new software. I certainly get the impression they do care about such issues (given previous discussion about mouse rollover for colour coding etc...)

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I normally wouldn't recommend this, however, since this board is going down soon...

Capri, could you ask someone you trust to register for you. Surely you have a friend or even a snopester that could do that for you, then work within the system to get a few changes. Heck, if you just copy and paste the image to an email, I will write back in text with what the code is.

ETA: OK, blond moment. The last part about pasting the image. DUH, if you can't see the page how do you post the image. But I still think there should be a way to do this. Heck, I would start the registration process for you, then you could continue from there.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

GenYus, I'm sorry to see you leave, but I'm happy to see that you're doing what you think is the right thing. Your reasons are good, and since that's the case, I guess we can hold off on the peer pressure. [Smile] I made an analogy on the new board about whether 'forcing' you to come over would be akin to forcing an alcoholic to drink, and I fear I may have hit closer to home than I intended. Sorry about that.

If you ever decide to come back, just know that you will be welcomed and that we'll miss you in the meantime.

Good Luck (and get back to work! [Wink] )

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Capri, is there anyone who might be able to help you? Maybe a friend or even someone at the public library using their computer?

Anyway, I just looked on the member list and saw that you are still not listed, so I'm going to take it upon myself to send a PM to Jenn at the new site. I didn't think you'd mind.

Hope you'll be there soon!

--------------------

Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the ideas, I hate having to be forced to rely on someone else to help me do something that I was able to do without assistance before, and this comes up every time there is a site that uses that code, and the number of them is getting more and more all the time.

I've even tried viewing the html source code on pages in order to try retreiving the code that way, and this doesn't even work. The screen reader simply makes no indication of where the code is on the page, so cutting and pasting it is out of the question as well.

Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for all the ideas, I hate having to be forced to rely on someone else to help me do something that I was able to do without assistance before, and this comes up every time there is a site that uses that code, and the number of them is getting more and more all the time.

I've even tried viewing the html source code on pages in order to try retreiving the code that way, and this doesn't even work. The screen reader simply makes no indication of where the code is on the page, so cutting and pasting it is out of the question as well.

The code is embedded in an image. Unfortunately the whole point of it is to foil attempts by a machine and/or software to read it. I recently had to enable this feature in a board I administer as we were getting hit by spam posts. I just required registration initially which briefly stopped the spambots but then they started registering and continued to spam.

Since enabling the visual identification, I've not been bothered by spambots since. I'm about as positive as I can be that snopes and the other board administrators have no desire to be exclusionary, so I'm sure something can be worked out to allow you to register on the new boards (and work out a process for others that have similar issues).

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may make a suggestion for Capri. Send a PM to Jenn via this board asking her to complete the registration form for you. Include your e-mail, intended screen name and password you want to use on the other board. I do not intend to speak for the ULMB moderators, but I do believe them to be a reasonable bunch.

- P

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ParaDiddle:
If I may make a suggestion for Capri. Send a PM to Jenn via this board asking her to complete the registration form for you. Include your e-mail, intended screen name and password you want to use on the other board. I do not intend to speak for the ULMB moderators, but I do believe them to be a reasonable bunch.

- P

And if they do this for you, you can just give them a temporary password that you may change the first time you log on.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

I sent Jenn a PM on the new board the same day I mentioned it in this thread, and she replied that she had forwarded the info to snopes. It may just be taking a while to get around to it.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have all of those things to straighten out! It's trial and error, usually, until you get it set up exactly like you want it.

On the small board I mod, we've had a rash of bogus registrants but, fortunately, have caught them all before they did any serious spamming. I'm afraid we're going to need to start using the verification code option, like Salamander did, if it keeps up.

--------------------

ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realise and thought something must have gone crazy with my computer, so after it wouldn't recognise my email i sent a messageoff to find out why. Then i had a poke around and found out i needed to re register. Seems if you go away for a week you miss alot round here.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages