snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Soapbox Derby » Did you Vote? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Did you Vote?
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you vote today (options for the unregistered and them fereners)

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 133 user(s) have voted.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're eligible to register and you didn't register

or

If you're eligible to vote and didn't vote

and

You don't have an very, very good reason to not do so

then

Please don't complain.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ashamed to say that I'm not voting today. I moved to a new city in January and I didn't get a chance (was too lazy) to register.

This is the first time I didn't vote since I registered.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be casting my ballot over lunch.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at the polls at 7:02 am, two minutes after they opened. I'm glad MN allows same day registration.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta wait until tonight before I can cast my vote down that deep, empty well of non-Democrat Massachusetts ideals. Ah, well, I lived in Connecticut and California before, so I'm used to my vote not counting [Razz]

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted on the way in to work.

There was a pollworker at the voting place whose first name was Chadd [sic].

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Been there done that, skipped the sticker.

I like the new touch screens. It was cool to review all of my choices at the end.

Huzzah for all the election officials!

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[off topic]I can't help but post a link to yesterday's Get Fuzzy comic. [/off topic]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AdmiralDinty:
I'm ashamed to say that I'm not voting today. I moved to a new city in January and I didn't get a chance (was too lazy) to register.

This is the first time I didn't vote since I registered.

Oh Dinty! Why didn't you register to vote at the Registry of Motor Vehicles when you changed the address on your drivers license?

Haven't done that either, hmm?  -

I'm trying to decide if I should wait until CatNip comes home, so we can take the Kitten and have her see us vote as a family, or just go over in a bit and let him take her later. I'll probably do the latter, since I've got choir rehearsal tonight and time will be tight this evening. Either way, though, I think it's important that Julia go and see her parents participating in the process.

I remember my parents taking me when I was her age, and my father holding me up so I could pull the little levers....  - Now we color in circles for an Opti-Scan machine. I like that we have real paper ballots for back-up in case of recounts, but I always seem to flash back to SAT anxiety. [Razz]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We still have paper ballots in my district. I like them. They are counted by machine, but you have a paer backup to go to if the computer screws up (like that would never happen...).

Our little voting place does not know how to divide the letters up. So we have a huge line in the N-T line while the other 3 are empty. I was lucky, I got in the H-M line and did not have to wait. My wife was in the N-T line and had to wait (and since we drove together, so did I) about 25 minutes. We all had to show ID this time (not just her).

I took the little sticker and am displaying it proudly on my shirt.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't voted yet. Dad and I will take my kids, and then head into town to visit Mom in the hospital. Aud, I always skip the sticker, too. The poll workers here are always very cool and give the kids each a sticker. [Smile]

babyshoes

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope. I have not voted today. Don't plan on it, either. [Razz]

I will be voting in municipal elections next week, though. And I already voted in federal elections in January. Sadly, the Greens didn't win my seat.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
I'm trying to decide if I should wait until CatNip comes home, so we can take the Kitten and have her see us vote as a family, or just go over in a bit and let him take her later. I'll probably do the latter, since I've got choir rehearsal tonight and time will be tight this evening. Either way, though, I think it's important that Julia go and see her parents participating in the process.

In our area, if the child goes with the adult, the kid also gets a "I voted" sticker. Our kids used to love getting those.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aud! You should have gotten sticker and sent it to me! I voted but we never have I Voted stickers. People around here have never seen them or heard of them. It makes me pout every year.

I got in early this morning and waited about 45 minutes. One of the machines never booted up this morning so we only had three available for our precinct. They've been calling for a replacement since they opened up but no dice.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted, but only in this poll. During our brief fling with the new board, I posted a rant regarding my non-registered status.
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't and won't vote, either, and I have to protest the phrasing of the forth answer, which implies that all non-USian snopsters are British or do in some other way regard the US as a (former) colony! [Wink]

Apart from that, I'm very interested in the outcome of this election and the change it might make to US and international politics!

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be heading to the polls after work, probably to stand in line for a few hours or so. Sigh. I'm out of the house from 6:30 - 6:30 M-F, and work about 45 min from where I live. Therefore, getting to the polls early just didn't work. Besides, I like casting ballots at the last min. Makes me feel like I might very well have cast the swing vote!

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Gibbie. The guy ahead of me was gushing about them having stickers again. It was a little too much so I breezed out.

At my presinct they had both paper optical scan ballots and the touchscreens. I thought that was pretty cool.

I thought about bringing Little_Aud but 10 months is probably a little young.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Methuselah:
[off topic]I can't help but post a link to yesterday's Get Fuzzy comic. [/off topic]

Today's is funny too.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in California, so I'm wearing a homemade sticker that says "I Think I Voted"

Kilgore (Democracy is the finest government money can buy) Trout

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working late tonight and will run to the gym right after work, and then stop at my polling place on my way home. That means I will be sweaty and smelly while voting. I figure it will be appropriate.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going after work. I should have gone this morning. I was up early enough. Oh well.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
I'll be heading to the polls after work, probably to stand in line for a few hours or so. Sigh. I'm out of the house from 6:30 - 6:30 M-F, and work about 45 min from where I live. Therefore, getting to the polls early just didn't work. Besides, I like casting ballots at the last min. Makes me feel like I might very well have cast the swing vote!

I'm sure you already know this, but you are most likely entitled to paid time off from work to vote. http://www.hrhero.com/news/alert/CO-102004.shtml
It may be too late this time since the employee must request the time off prior to election day, but it should give you some relief from the mad rush next time.

Oh, wait. I just realized you said you liked voting at the last minute, but I'll leave this post, anyway, for the benefit of those very few who may not be aware of this provision. The law varies from state to state. http://www.timetovote.net/voter_leave_laws.html

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted by absentee ballot. Nice, convenient, and no lines, plus I got to research the people and issues I wasn't familiar with before voting. Just the thing for a new Ohio resident!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gibbie- My polling place never has the stickers either. [Frown] I grew up in Southern California and I remember my parents wearing the stickers and taking my brother and I along when they voted. When I was finally able to vote I saved my first "I Voted" sticker and put it in my scrapbook! dorky!! [Smile]

I voted this morning after I dropped Starlet off at school. Starling came along but she's so young I don't think she was impressed. Mr S took Starlet with him last week when he voted early.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Housemate and I were at the polling place by six-thirty, and stopped at Village Inn for breakfast on the way home.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout, fka Dog Friendly:
I live in California, so I'm wearing a homemade sticker that says "I Think I Voted"

Kilgore (Democracy is the finest government money can buy) Trout

I was worried about voting on a touch screen for the first time, but I got to the polls and all they had were paper ballots. Yay! My vote is real!

It might take a while to count it, though. "It could be a painful wait for candidates and voters in what will likely be several close races."

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll vote this afternoon, probably around 1:30. I don't want to get caught in the lunch crowd, but I want to get there before school lets out.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a hot governor's race (no, I'm not voting for Kinky), and the court ordered a fairer re-districting (finally) so that the University of Texas at Austin area is actually represented by the Austin District instead of San Antonio. If you can see the capitol dome from your front porch, I think you ought to be considered part of Austin, don'tcha think? I wouldn't miss this election for love or money.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I voted on Nov. 2, but the poll's actual question was "Did you vote?", so I answered "Yes" since I did. I just did it early, that's all.

Slightly off topic: It's so weird for me to sit down and see Tennessee in the spotlight for an election. We really aren't used to that sort of exposure.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure did!

According to the packet that came with my ballot we only have 250 registered voters in my city. How pathetic is that?

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got up a bit early to vote before work, just to avoid worry. (With my job, you never know what time the day will end. While I am usually home before 6 PM, on rare occasions I have to work much later. And though I would not hesitate to tell them "Sorry, can't do that run, got to go home and vote," it's better not to have to worry about it.)

No line, though things were fairly brisk. I liked the touchscreens, but I didn't like the way they do the paper trail -- it prints on a narrow, reciept-like strip of paper which stays in the machine. It's difficult to read and when it was being presented for review, was out of synch with the display screen. Worse, for the statewide judicial offices, which are yes/no votes to confirm, the strip was so narrow that there was no room for the name of the judge being voted on! It would say something like "Shall Associate Justice" and "YES" below it. Bad planning, and will make it pretty hard on anyone trying to do a recount.

I'd rather have a system where it actually spits out a form you can look over and which can be optically scanned, and that's the form you place in the ballot box for the official count (though the tallies off the machines can be used for early unofficial results). But then I suppose you could just eliminate the touch-screen altogether at that point, and just stick with paper ballots filled out by hand....

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get why people are so much more worried about computerized voting than paper voting, I think the paper ballots are just as easy to fudge up, just in a different way.

"Oops, I can't believe that box of ballots accidentally fell into the river, I think they were all for the DEM candidates. Oh well, this is a red state anyway..." (not to imply which side may or may not be prone to that kind of thing, just had to pick one for the example)

{lick finger} "look at this ballot!" {smudge, smudge} "it's so smudgey that I can't even tell who they were going to vote for, guess I'll have to toss it out"

Sure it's a hair easier to destroy an electronic vote if someone hacks the machine but I don't think the machines create new problems, just different variants on the problems we already had.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Giselle:
Sure did!

According to the packet that came with my ballot we only have 250 registered voters in my city. How pathetic is that?

How big is your city? Most places only about 75% of the eligible voters actually register anyway.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages