snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Disney » Disney's attitudes towards terminally ill children (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disney's attitudes towards terminally ill children
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 604 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a little deuce coupe:
"disabilities" can mean many different things, musicgeek. In particular, this thread is about terminally ill children whose wish is to come to Disney World.

But if we're going on the tangent of disabilities, I met a girl last week that was autistic and deaf. Her mom was THRILLED when I started signing to the girl.

I wasn't going on a tangent. The article linked in the OP specifically mentions "disabled people and those with life-threatening illnesses," citing in particular a rumor that "official policy does not allow the filming of disabled children, or those with a life-threatening illness."

No harm done - the title of the thread mentions only terminal illness, but the OP and the linked article both include general disability as well. My post didn't add anything tremendous to the discussion, but I thought it might be worthwhile to note that a glossy lifestyle publication gives Disney top marks for accomodating those with disabilities, and provides a picture, neatly refuting two of the major claims in the article referenced by the O.P.

In any case, keep up the good work -- maybe my family (including my son, who may or may not have an autistic spectrum disorder - we're still testing) will be lucky enough to run into you next year when we visit DisneyWorld!

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 04 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey everyone Benjamin was released from the hospital today and is at home doing better. [Smile]

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:
Just FTR: Duchenne MD is a progressive disease that does not always follow a regular course. A healthy looking 5-year-old may be a 10-year-old in a wheelchair, and a bed-bound 15-year-old. The oldest person in the US right now with DMD is someone I've met-- he's 25.

That's not entirely accurate. A friend of mine has Duchenne's and he's a year older than me. 31.

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages