snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Beer thru a straw

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beer thru a straw
BlueByrd
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 98 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
During a stay in Belgium this August, while emptying my bottle of cherry beer ("Kriek") through a straw, I was warned that this particular way of consuming alcoholic drinks would get me drunk either faster or more thoroughly. No one could tell me why this would be the case, though, and I can't think of anything myself, either.

Has anyone out there heard of this, too? How did people come up with it?

Blue "not half as think as you drunk I am" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
malarial-moruti
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I heard this rumous a bunch whilst i was at university also. Some of the people said that it was due to either consuming more oxygen when one drank or because one didn't get any air whilst one was drinking. That seemed rather contradictory to me. AS for my own anecdotal experiences, it made no difference, because during my college days i consumed MORE than enough to get several people drunk. I've since given up drinking....too many goats. [fish]

mo"dipudi" ruti

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd

Icon 05 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What I'd like to know is how people end up believing this... Maybe someone drunk a load of drinks through a straw and wound up particularly hungover afterwards, then attributed the latter to the former and told his friends?

I'll refrain from asking about the goats... O_o

Blue "Aberforth? What on earth are you doing?" Byrd

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Posts: 831 | From: The standee gallery at a Viennese opera house | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fibia Cashew

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, I know that if you suck on a straw really hard (as with a really thick milkshake) you can get light-headed and dizzy. Maybe someone associated that milkshake-head effect with drinking through a straw in general, and then decided that that combined with alcohol would make you more drunk than the alcohol itself.

People believe some darn silly things, after all...

Filberta "once a goat sat on my lap, but only because I was in its chair" Cashew

noftessa

Icon 01 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If this has any truth to it, I bet it is because one most likely drinks faster when drinking with a straw. Drink faster = more drinks. At least this is true in my experience. (The drinking faster, not the drinking more alcohol.)

nof "hiccup" tessa

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Beer-a-chow. But it's a really old thread.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueByrd

Icon 05 posted      Profile for BlueByrd   Author's Homepage   E-mail BlueByrd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So should we pick the old thread back up or continue on this one? I'm posting here, now, anyway, so I might as well carry on here...

Taken from the former:
quote:
While it may be true that you tend to drink faster with a straw the main reason is that the substance in question gets into contact with the mucous membrane in your mouth more thoroughly and for a longer time. Since alcohol does get right through this membrane into your blood circuit you get drunk faster.
Dunno about you guys, but this sounds like absolute horse dung to me. Never mind the "direct absorption" bits, I wouldn't say drinking through a straw means the liquid stays in your mouth longer.

--------------------
"A monster!"
"A local!"

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't see why drinking beer through a straw would make you drunker. The best I could come up with is that the alcohol in mixed drinks sinks to the bottom due to density. Beer, though, doesn't separate, so it doesn't apply here.

Besides, the carbonation in beer (or sparkling ciders and wines) increases the absorption of alcohol. If you don't want to get drunk from beer, drink it flat. [Smile]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Momanon

I saw something about this on one of the Urban Legend shows on TV. Of course any snopester can tell you how flaky these sources can be (sing a song of sixpence). The show pretty much mirrored what most of you said: Most people drink faster with a straw, which means more drunkitude. The physical effet of the straw directly getting one drunk, however, is non-existant.
My own thought to debunk this: if a straw directing alcohol on mucous membranes made someone drunk faster, couldn't someone just gargle with beer and avoid all those beer-belly inducing calories? [Roll Eyes]

-moMANon-

Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason the Jinx:
I don't see why drinking beer through a straw would make you drunker. The best I could come up with is that the alcohol in mixed drinks sinks to the bottom due to density. Beer, though, doesn't separate, so it doesn't apply here.

My theory is that someone heard this and applied it to all alcoholic drinks. Certainly I've heard the above from people before that by drinking through a straw you get more of the alcohol from the bottom.

A second theory is that you tend to drink cocktails and mixers through a straw rather than beer, thus the strength of the alcohol is what gets you drunk, but you attribute it to the straw because you were told so.

If drinking through a straw means you drink faster, why don't pubs give out straws then?

Anyway all balderdash if you ask me. Another childhood "how to get high/drunk quicker". When you get older you want to get drunk more schlowwly (like the guy from the Grolsch adverts) anyway [Big Grin]

Archie "Loves his Grolsch" 2K

By the way I spent a week this Summer in Belgium too, and spent much of it trying some of the beers around. Hoegaarden quickly became my favourite because of its slightly fruity flavour and because of the hot barmaid at the bar we went to most of the time [Big Grin]
Grimbergen Triple was nasty though. It was like taking the worst bits of spirits and beer and mixing them...

--------------------
Vox populi vox canem

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think that the myth exists because only people who never, ever drink alcohol would drink beer through a straw. Gack, I can't even imagine drinking beer through a straw. Therefore they get knackered quicker. Therefore, an urban legend is born.

John Craven

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyhammer Anvilslickstirrup:
Gack, I can't even imagine drinking beer through a straw.
John Craven

When I was younger my parents told me to never drink beer through a straw. I wondered who the hell would even think about doing that. They also believed it made you drink faster and more than you realized and therefore get drunker. Still haven't tried it but I can assure you that one can get quite drunk without a straw.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bananaberrybaby

At my work when we want to drink beer without getting caught we put it in the soda cups we sell and drink it through a straw. It doesn't get us drunk particularly fast, but it sure tastes waxy!
MWF

You can drink a bottle of beer far faster using a straw but you don't drink through it. You use the straw as a vent so you can neck it back with getting an air lock.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages