snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Our S.O.B.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Our S.O.B.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was helping my daughter edit a college essay on the
Philippines, where my family lived for many years. I wanted to insert the
common knowledge legend that the then director of the CIA had said of the
dictator Marcos before the 1986 revolution "He may be a son of a bitch but
at least he's our son of a bitch." Checking the quote for accuracy and
source, I Googled it and was surprised to find a whole lot of other
dictators about whom the same quote had been attributed! Batista,
Pinochet, Fujimori,Mobutu, the Shah of Iran, Savimbi, Suharto, Trujillo
and even Botha have been lumped into this expression. What's true? Was it
ever said at all by a CIA director and if so of which tyrant?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And so the light begins to shine in the dark conrners.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I'd heard it, the quotation was originally by Teddy Roosevelt - the subject was Somoza, ruler in Nicaragua (the father or, more likely, grandfather of the Somoza who ruled before the takeover by the Sandinistas in the late 1970s).

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crud. I hit the wrong key & lost my post. OK, this guy tried to track it down & was unsuccessful Did FDR Call Somoza or Trujillo "our son of a bitch"? He found that the earliest mentions seem to be of either FDR (not Teddy) or Secretary of State Cordell Hull. But he also found an earlier version that someone posted to usenet: a quote from Alphonse B. Miller's biography of Thaddeus stevens, published in 1939. Stevens was a US Congressman from 1848-1868.
quote:
Stevens came late into the House while such a discussion was in progress, and asked which of the contestants was entitled to the seat. A Colleague answered that they were both damned rascals. "Well", retorted Stevens, "Which is our damned rascal?".

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The quote fits in with Stevens' nickname of "The Great Commoner".

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bow to my learned friends above about the saying 'our son of a bitch', but is it worth pointing out that the original term 'son of a bitch' comes from Shakespeare?

'Nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch.'

(King Lear, II, ii)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The OED has a somewhat earlier reference than Lear: c. 1330 _Of Arthour & of Merlin_: "Abide ou ef malicious! Biche-sone ou drawest amis ou schalt abigge it ywis!"

Shakespeare, pah! Johnny-come-lately! (1839)

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well researched Chloe!

I was looking in 'Brewer's' and to be fair to the book it said that the phrase dates 'from at least the time of Shakespeare'.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, it's cheating when you can access the OED online and just cut and paste. You can get lost in it for hours on end though. And that's just looking up the earliest known occurrences of the rude words!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages